Seahawks 7th round selection (241)
This is the second-to-last pick of the 2013 draft for the Seattle Seahawks.
The players that the Seahawks selected with their earlier picks are: Running back Christine Michael, defensive tackle Jordan Hill, wide receiver Chris Harper, defensive tackle Jesse Williams, cornerback Tharold Simon, tight end Luke Wilson, running back Spencer Ware, guard Ryan Seymour and defensive end Ty Powell.
With their first of two 7th round compensatory picks, the Seahawks selected:
Name: Jared Smith
Position: Defensive Tackle
College: New Hampshire
Weight: 302 lbs.
40 yard dash: 5.08
Jared Smith chosen 241st overall in the 7th round
Yes… that really does say New Hampshire.
It is really hard to evaluate small school players like Jared Smith. They don’t face near the level of competition that the players from the PAC-12 or SEC do.
One thing that I always look for when I watch small school players play is if they are the best player on the field. With Smith, I can absolutely see that he is the best player on the field in every bit of video that I found.
Smith is going to be very raw when he arrives in Seattle. Still, I would have to say that he has the potential to make the team’s practice squad.
I like this pick about as much as I’m probably going to like any player drafted with the 241st pick in any draft.
“The last UNH player selected was cornerback Corey Graham, who went to the Bears in the fifth round of the 2007 draft, but made a name for himself during Baltimore’s run to the Super Bowl title last year.
The 6-foot-3, 302-pound Smith, who is from Greencastle, Pa., was a three-year starter for the Wildcats and finished his career with 129 tackles, including 26 tackles for a loss and 12.5 sacks.
Last season as a senior, Smith led the team with nine tackles for a loss, four sacks and three blocked kicks and earned multiple postseason honors, including All-CAA First Team and College Sports Journal FCS All-American.”
Expert Pick Analysis
”If he is going to play guard that’s good for the kid. That means they’re going to give him time to develop before moving him to the other side.” — Mike Mayock
- Round 2/62 – Christine Michael, RB, 5-10, 220, Texas A&M
- Round 3/87—Jordan Hill, DT, 6-1, 303, Penn State
- Round 4/123 – Chris Harper, WR, 6-1, 200, Kansas State
- Round 5/137—Jesse Williams, DT, 6-3, 325, Alabama
- Round 5/138—Tharold Simon, CB, 6-2, 202, LSU
- Round 5/158—Luke Willson, TE, 6-5, 251, Rice
- Round 6/194—Spencer Ware, 5-10, 229, LSU
- Round 7/220—Ryan Seymour, -10, 229, LSU
- Round 7/231—Ty Powell, 6-3, 249, Harding University
- Round 7/241—Jared Smith, 6-3, 302, New Hampshire
- Round 7/242—Michael Bowie, 6-5, 332, Northeastern State