Seahawks 5th round selection (137)
The Seattle Seahawks made a trade with the Detroit Lions to pick up the 4th pick in the 5th round (137). The Seahawks used the two picks they received yesterday from Baltimore when they slide back 6 picks in the 2nd round to make the move (165, 199).
The player they selected at 137:
Name: Jesse Williams
Position: Defensive Tackle
Weight: 323 lbs.
40 yard dash: Did not run at combine but ran a 4.92 at his pro day
Jesse Williams chosen 137th overall in the 5th round
Yesterday the Seahawks selected defensive tackle Jordan Hill in the third round. Hill is a defensive tackle who is at his best when can attack the quarterback. That is not the player Jesse Williams is.
Williams is a defensive tackle who eats up blockers and stuffs the run. A nose tackle if you will. This is the player who fits the mold of a guy like Alan Branch who left during free agency in a way.
Jesse is a relentless player who keeps playing until the whistle blows. He’s a shorter guy than Branch but it allows him to stay under the offensive lineman’s pads. Because of it he can avoid being stood up and pushed back.
He was projected as a 1st or 2nd round pick but medical reason caused him to slide down the draft. This is another instants where when the Seahawks have a stacked roster so they can take chances on guys that other teams can’t afford to take.
I like this pick a lot. The Seahawks’ defense just got a lot tougher to run against.
- Round 2/62 – Christine Michael, RB, 5-10, 220, Texas A&M
- Round 3/87—Jordan Hill, DT, 6-1, 303, Penn State
- Round 4/123 – Chris Harper, WR, 6-1, 200, Kansas State
- Round 5/137—Jesse Williams, DT, 6-3, 325, Alabama
- Round 5/138—Tharold Simon, CB, 6-2, 202, LSU
- Round 5/158—Luke Willson, TE, 6-5, 251, Rice
- Round 6/194—Spencer Ware, 5-10, 229, LSU
- Round 7/220—Ryan Seymour, -10, 229, LSU
- Round 7/231—Ty Powell, 6-3, 249, Harding University
- Round 7/241—Jared Smith, 6-3, 302, New Hampshire
- Round 7/242—Michael Bowie, 6-5, 332, Northeastern State