Ducks On Sunday
There are currently around 55 players from the University of Oregon in the NFL. Will LaMichael James be on this list next year?
Here are in my opinion my 5 best Ducks players that are playing on Sunday’s these days and I list their years for the Ducks.
1. Haloti Ngata NT – (2002-2005) - Ngata is one of the most dominant defensive linemen in the NFL and he was a first round pick (12th overall) in the 2006 draft of the Ravens. He had a solid rookie season starting all 16 games with 31 tackles, one sack and one INT.
He is a 3-time All Pro selection and has made it to the Pro Bowl 2 times.
To show how valuable a player he was, before the 2011 season the Ravens slapped the franchise tag on him.
2. Jonathan Stewart RB – (2005-2007) - Stewart was a first round draft pick by the Carolina Panthers in 2008 and has played well since being in the backfield for Carolina. In his rookie season he set the Panthers’ record with 836 yards and he also has the team record for the most rushing yards in a game with 206.
He has been the NFL FedEx Ground Player of the week 1 time. He can often be seen on Sunday’s frustrating fantasy football owners due to the time share with DeAngelo Williams.
3. Jairus Byrd S – (2006-2008) – Byrd was a 2nd round pick by the Buffalo Bills in 2009 and he made his presence felt right away, as he was not only named to the All Rookie team he also made the Pro Bowl.
He led the AFC in INT in 2009 and is one of the best young free safeties in the NFL today.
4. Patrick Chung S – (2005-2008) - The Patriots love this guy! Chung was drafted in the 2nd round in 2009 and while he only started one game his rookie season he was a great special teams player.
In 2010 he became a full time starter and even though he missed a couple of games due to a knee injury he finished the season with 96 tackles, 3 INT, and 9 passes defended.
5. LeGarrette Blount RB – (2008-2009) - Blount did not have a storybook career with the Ducks being suspended for most of his senior season, which caused him to go undrafted.
Before the 2010 season he was with the 49ers and Titans before being claimed by the Buccaneers.
In his only season in the league he led all NFL rookies in rushing yards (1,007 yards) and became on the 2nd undrafted player ever to rush for 1,000 yards.
Who can forget this Blount run from last year. WOW. Special.