The Seattle Mariners ends the first half of their season the way they started it: against Oakland.
The M’s were supposed to be a better team than their division rivals this year, but coming into the All Star break the Mariners are in the basement of the AL west yet again looking up into the butt cheeks of the A’s
Pitching match ups:
Game 85: RHP – Kevin Millwood vs. LHP – Tommy Milone
Millwood missed his last start due to the fact he was licking his wounds. Which is bad when you have a groin injury.
After a rough start to the season, Kevin Millwood has pulled his ERA to 4.00 matching his career 4.10 nicely. It is good to know what to expect. The 37-year-old pitcher has pitched better on the road (3.10 ERA) this year than at home (5.29).
- * Millwood’s last start was against Oakland but he pitched only 2.2 innings before having to return to the nursing home.
- * Current line: 3-6 / 4.00 ERA / 62 BB / 89 SO / 1.36 WHIP
Milone may not be having a miracle season as a rookie, but he has shown good stuff as a young lefty, especially at home where he is 5-1 at with a 0.99 ERA. The Mariners are hitting only .234 against Milone going into their third match up against him this first half of the season.
- * Current Line: 8-6 / 3.73 ERA / 24 BB / 63 SO / 1.19 WHIP
- * Eyes fall on Jesus Montero to improve on his .667 Batting Average against the Oakland hurler
Game 86: LHP – Jason Vargas vs. RHP – Jarrod Parker
At 7-7 and a 4.31 ERA, one wonders what sort of trade value the southpaw could get for the M’s. With losing Erasmo Ramirez to the DL and optioning Noesi to Tacoma the M’s may have tipped their hand of their intentions to keep Jason Vargas on through the rebuilding process.
- * Vargas is 1-0 with a 2.45 ERA against Oakland in 3 starts this season
- * Oakland batters are hitting just .161 against Jason
Jarrod Parker is another bright spot for the Oakland Moneyballers (which they should totally change their name to by the way). His 2.46 ERA is impressive but he has given up 39 walks to 61 strike outs for a total of about 4.4 per nine inning game.
- * His first appearance against Seattle was bad for M’s fans who watched their team combine for an average of 1.25
- * Parker is 2-1 in 7 starts at Overstock.com Coliseum with a 1.54 ERA
Game 87: RHP – Felix Hernandez vs. RHP – Bartolo Colon
Felix should be excited to pitch in this game before heading off to the All-Star game in Kansas City as Seattle’s lone representative.
After a rough first half there really is no place to go but up.
Well the point is a good mood should help him play well.
- * Current Line: 6-5 / 3.26 ERA / 32 BB / 122 SO / 1.23 WHIP
Bartolo Colon is always entertaining to watch. If you were to see him walking down the street and were given 1000 guesses as to his career, professional athlete wouldn’t even be on your radar.
He helps give hopes to the masses that average old, fat, controversial, loud mouth can make it big in this country.
- * Current line 6-7 / 4.05 ERA / 17 BB / 58 SO / 1.29 WHIP
M’s VS A’s Series Predictions
The M’s could kill Milone at home where he has been dominate all season. The M’s could also win the world series this year. That is if you throw out every self respecting bit of rationality in your way. Prediction: Loss (A’s 2 – M’s 1)
Vargas should pitch like his job depends on it. Meaning if he wants to stay in Seattle, he should lose. Prediction: Loss (A’s 5 – M’s 0)
Two Cy Young award winners squaring off? Sounds like a party. Prediction: Win (A’s 0 – M’s 1)
Oakland’s starters have posted a 1.89 ERA in the last 20 games.
Moss has 10 home runs in 24 games since joining the A’s and has driven in at least one run in four straight.