My Kind of town Chicago is…
The Seattle Mariners move to Chicago seeking perfect vengeance.
Pitching match ups:
Game 54: RHP – Felix Hernandez vs. RHP – Jake Peavy
It is hard to keep a good man down, and Felix Hernandez is a good man. Felix led the Mariners to a loss in his last outing after a good pitching performance ruined by a couple of home runs including a pinch hit grand slam in Safeco field. Felix has shown time and time again his mental resolve to go out on the mound and compete even harder after a bad outing.
The M’s have the right man on the hill to try and maintain their hot streak.
- Current line: 4-4 / 3.17 ERA / 22 BB / 75 SO / 1.23 WHIP
- Since 2009 Felix’s ERA against the White Sox is just 1.77
- Felix has struggled with White Sox slugger Paul Konerko who has a .292 (7/24) average against the M’s ace.
Peavy has been having a great season so far. The 31-year-old right hander from Mobile Alabama is 6-1 on the year. His single loss came after tossing a complete game 4 hit, 1 run performance against the Red Sox.
Peavy is holding a 0.92 WHIP sitting just behind 2011 CY Young award winner Justin Verlander in that category. The current M’s roster has only 56 combined at bats against Peavy, with Ichiro carrying 22 of those.
- Leave Figgins out of the game please. He has yet to get a career hit against Peavy
- Peavy has few weaknesses this season, but could be venerable in a 0-1 count where he is most likely to leave a ball over the plate. M’s have to be aggressive.
Game 55: RHP – Hector Noesi vs. RHP – Gavin Floyd
Noesi showed some good poise in his last outing, in which he gave an 8 inning performance, but unfortunately was plagued by the long ball. His ERA has dropped from 8.83 in April down to 3.43 in May giving him a 5.01 on the year.
This is a good upswing for the pitcher who came to replace Michael Pineda.
- Current line: 2-6 / 5.01 ERA / 20 BB / 34 SO / 1.15 WHIP
Of all the White Sox pitchers Floyd has proven to be the most vulnerable this season. He has almost opposite numbers on the season than Noesi. Floyd threw an ERA of 3.13 in April followed by a 7.06 in May, leaving him sitting at a 5.02 ERA on the season.
A perfect pitcher for the M’s batters to shake up, especially after facing Peavy the night before.
- Current Line: 4-5 / 5.02 ERA / 17 BB / 54 SO /1.25 WHIP
- Floyd is yet to face Seattle this season, but in 2011 he was 2-0 with a 2.11 ERA against them
Game 56: RHP – Kevin Millwood vs. LHP – Chris Sale
I still believe that the Mariners will try and use Millwood as trade bait this season so they will be hoping for another strong performance from the 37-year-old veteran who is 14 years the senior of his opponent in this game Chris Sale.
- Current White Sox have are hitting .336 against Millwood with Adam Dunn hitting .429 (9/21) with 6 home runs. Yikes
Sale is the former closer for the White Sox, and while he has shown dominate stuff in his first year as a starter, arm problems have threatened him to be placed back in the Pen.
- Current line: 6-2 / 2.43 ERA / 16 BB / 61 SO / 1.01 WHIP
- Opponents average against Sale this season is just .198.
Mariners vs White Sox Series Predictions
I think this game could go against the odds but only IF the M’s keep up the mental capability that they are not playing for a AAAA ball club. Unfortunately the White Sox are just on fire at the moment and I don’t think Felix will get enough run support to get the win.
Prediction: Loss (Mariners 1 – White Sox 2)
The M’s should win this game. Floyd is struggling and Noesi is improving.
Prediction: Win (Mariners 6 – White Sox 3)
The problem in this game will be the Mariners bullpen. They need a closer that can finish games. Right now they don’t have it.
Prediction: Loss (Mariners 3 – White Sox 5)
Ichiro will bat lead-off tonight for the first time this season.
Brendan Ryan was honored as the defensive player of the month of May! Steve Delabar was optioned and replaced by hard throwing Stephen Pryor. The Mariners scored eight runs in both the second and third innings of Wednesday’s game. Justin Smoak had six RBIs and Kyle Seager had four hits.